Saturday, July 25, 2009

Seminar


Today we had a great seminar by Grady Lane Sensei of Brevard Aikikai, a well known and respected 6th dan shidoin. Lane Sensei teaches in a slow, precise, and technically proficient manner. He had us practice some techniques I have never seen before, as well as some familiar techniques.

We had several techniques from yokomenuchi strikes. One was a shihonage from a more direct irimi opening. Another was a sumi-otoshi/ maki-otoshi with an irimi tenkan opening. Morotetori and ryotetori techniques were also included in the repertoire. I can remember nikkyo from morotetori and a "kokyu-nage" and nikkyo from ryotetori. Katetori saw some irimi-nage and kokyu-nage action as well.

I skipped the second class since I wasn't feeling all that great. I got that awful phlegm in my nose and throat. In between chess moves, I saw some jo and *drum roll* bokken stuff a-goin' on. I recall kokyu-nage and shiho-nage, unfortunately, I have no recollection on how it was done. Bad phlegm. Bad.

It was a great seminar; thank you Lane Sensei!

-gHopper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say